Thursday 30 June 2011

Pure Cafe

vegan restaurant


Pure Cafe ranks as one of my favourite vegan restaurants in Tokyo.  Tucked on a side street off Aoyama Dori, close to Omotesando, Pure is a calm little oasis to head to for a break from the bustle of Harajuku or Shibuya.

After a morning yoga class, I headed to Pure for a solo lunch.  It's a comfy spot for a meal for one- they have plenty of little tables, books and magazines for perusing, and a counter facing out to the street so you can watch the stylish passers by.  The ambiance is lovely, earthy, and stylish.

I have only ever been to Pure for lunch, but it's an ideal time to go.  Though many of their individual items are on the pricy side (a muffin will cost you 472¥), the lunch specials are quite reasonable (1150¥ - 1360¥).  They always have several choices of lunch sets- a few sandwiches, a grain salad, or perhaps a curry as the main dish.  With your main, you get a little soup (today's was a lovely Thai curry soup), a salad, and a drink (organic tea, coffee or juice).  Pure's food is consistently delicious, and often creative.  My sandwich (named "my favorite sandwich") was avocado, cucumber, lettuce, tomato, celery, and peanut butter(!) on rye bread.  I was skeptical about how well those ingredients were going to get along, but somehow it worked out!  True to their name, Pure serves up food that is tasty in a distinctly healthy way, not from an overload of salt, sugar, fat, or artificial flavors.

I haven't tried their desserts (630¥ - 715¥), but have heard great things about them!  Do any Tokyo friends want to accompany me on my next visit for some "research"?


。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
***If you want to take items out, make sure to bring your own cup or bag!  They don't offer disposables.

Menu: both Japanese and English.  The main chalkboard is English only.  Also, the staff speak some English.  All menu items are vegan!

おすすめ / recommendation: Everything!  Order a set for better value.

good points: lovely atmosphere, delicious, healthy

bad points: portions may be small for some, can be pricy

how to get there:  The first time I ever went to Pure, back before I moved to Tokyo, I wandered around for 2 frustrating hours getting lost even though I had a guidebook with a map.  I have no idea how I managed that, cause it's quite simple to find.  Take exit B3 of Omotesando station on the Ginza, Hanzomon, or Chioda lines.  When you exit, take a left, and head down the little street.  The road soon comes to a T, and you will see the Aveda salon just to the left in front of you.  Pure cafe shares the building with Aveda, with the cafe on the left and salon on the right.



View Larger Map

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...